Legal Assistant, Litigation
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are asked to email a current resume with a subject line: “Legal Assistant – Litigation” to email@example.com.
We thank all candidates who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation related to any materials or activities used throughout our selection process. If you require reasonable accommodation at any time during our selection process, please advise prior to your interview.
Commitment to Diversity
One of our firm’s Core Values is that we value diversity and strive to reflect the communities we serve. In that regard, we encourage anyone who identifies as an Indigenous person, a visible minority, a person with a disability, and/or a member of the 2SLGBTQ+ community to apply. We also welcome you to self-identify your membership in these groups if you wish to do so.
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman (TDS) believes that collaboration is essential to providing outstanding professional service. Their collegial workplace fosters greater teamwork, responsiveness, and communication, providing better results for clients. With Manitoba roots that run more than 130 years deep, TDS has long been recognized as a leading full-service law firm dedicated to serving clients and delivering high-quality work.
Perks & Benefits
- Company pension with generous employer match
- Diverse group health, dental and disability benefits
- Employee assistance program
- Affordable gym in the building
- Paid time off
- Centrally located in True North Square, a state-of-the-art building, with many nearby restaurants, and amenities available.
- Some flexibility for start and end times within core office hours.
TDS is currently seeking a Legal Assistant with Litigation experience. This position will primarily support the efforts of Litigation lawyers at the firm, assisting with day-to-day tasks such as file and matter management, organizing work, and other duties. This unique role will best fit someone who thrives on working in a professional, fast-paced, and high-stress environment.
- Preparing and drafting various correspondence and documents
- Opening, updating (including data entry and scanning of documentation), organizing, maintaining, and closing legal files and matters (paper and electronic)
- Performing conflict checks and initial calls with clients, etc.
- Reviewing and revisions of format, spelling and grammar on all final documents
- Translating dictation into typed format
- Maintaining an efficient electronic and physical file and document management system
- Maintaining a full calendar, email management and managing lawyers’ practice and client interactions
- Understanding methods and procedures in the creation and filing of all documents, paper and electronic, related to the Court of King’s Bench, Court of Appeal, Federal Court, Provincial Court as well as the Supreme Court
- Assisting in the preparation & completion of litigation documentation and pleadings, and Human Rights Tribunal pleadings
- Performing various online searches
- Performing general administrative duties as required
- Legal Administrative Assistant certificate or diploma
- Previous experience supporting lawyers in a law firm, with some exposure to litigation work.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (i.e., Word, Outlook & Excel)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Superior organizational, administration and research skills
- Mature attitude and deadline-driven.